“Believer’s Kept” By the Power of God
Text: John 17
1. Kept in the Father’s Name, John 17:11 this was a prayer that Jesus prayed for the keeping of the saints… Jesus asked the Father to protect them so they could remain as One as Jesus and the Father were One. We too can know that no matter what circumstance we face here on earth we are kept by the power of God.
2. Kept in Safety, In Verse 12 Jesus reminded his disciples that while He was with them He protected them. He reminded them that none had been lost except the son of perdition, referring to Judas, who betrayed Jesus. He reminded them that according to John 18:8-9 that Judas was never really one of those given to Christ, and John 6:64-71 that Judas had never really been a believer, and John 13:11 made reference that he had not been cleansed.
3. Kept in Joyfulness, in verse 13 Jesus prayed that they would have a full measure of joy within them, John 15:11 Christ’s joy abides in believers, in us, that His joy might be in us and our joy might be complete. According to Romans 14:17Joy has been promised to the believers.
4. Kept in Purity, in verse 15 Jesus prayed to the Father that He wouldn’t take the disciples out of the world but that He would keep them from the evil one. That they would keep themselves separated, pure before God, fulfilling all that was required of them.
5. Kept Separated from the World, in verse 16 Jesus prayed reminding the Father that they were not of this world as He himself was not of the world…Something to think about, we live in this world, but we are not a part of this world, meaning our real home is in Heaven. Jesus has gone on before us, preparing a place for us when it is our time to be called home, in the meantime we live here on earth doing the Father’s work, abiding in Christ, keeping our eyes on the Finishing Line, Amen!
6. Kept in Process of Sanctification, in verse 17..Jesus prayed that they would be sanctified by the truth, and said Your Word is truth…Sanctify is to be purified, set apart…Isn’t it awesome to know we are sanctified, purified and kept by the power of God, that our lives are held in the palm of His Hands.
7. Kept in Active Service, in verse 18 Jesus prayed to the Father saying as You sent me into the world I have sent them in to the world…they were set apart for active service, they were kept by the power of God, we too can be kept by the power of God in active service, we can depend on God to equip us for active duty. Knowing that we are kept by God’s power it strengthens us knowing that even in this world, we are kept safe, knowing, having the confidence that God is surrounding us with His love and protection.
8. Kept in Perfect Unity, in verse 20-21, here Jesus prays for all believers, praying that they might be one as He was one with the Father. He prayed that the world would know that the Father had sent Him.
9. Kept for the Coming Glory, in verses 22-24 Jesus again prayed for unity, for oneness, for the world to be brought to a complete place of unity knowing that the Father sent His Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus prayed , “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
Our Heavenly Father has promised to “Keep us”
We are kept by the Power of God, It is the Father’s protection that surrounds us. John 17:11